BOOK 3 CHAPTERS 1-3
Book 3 Chapter 1
"Down with Big Brother!' Yes, I said that! Said it over and over again, it seems. Between you and me, old man, I'm glad they got me before it went any further..."
"Who denounce you?" said Winston.
"It was my little daughter," said Parsons with a sort of doleful pride. "She listened at the keyhole. Heard what I was saying, and nipped off to the patrols the very next day. Pretty smart for a nipper of seven, eh? I don't bear any grudge for it. In fact I'm proud of her. It shows I brought her up in the right spirit, anyway."
Parsons, the person that Winston shares the same cell with, was turned in by his own children for committing a thoughtcrime. It's crazy to know the children in this society would turn in their own parents. They have been brought up to give their loyalty to the Party at all costs, even if that means going against their own family. This situation reminds me of the movie Insurgent. In this futuristic world, the society is divide into five faction. As each person enters adulthood, he or she must choose a faction and commit to it for life. The main character, Beatrice does not fall into any of these five categories is actually a divergent, which is really rare. She ends up choosing to Dauntless (one of the five factions) in order to protect her identify. When Beatrice finds out about the evil doings of the of the people in charge of the dystopian society that she resides in, she forms a rebellion to go against those in power. Her brother on the other hand, has his own agenda. Even though he is apart of her rebellion and the only family member she has, he secretly passes private information to Jeanine (the leader of the faction Erudite that controls everything else) about Beatrice in order to further her research about Divergents. Her own brother betrayed her when she needed him most.
It was smart of you to bring up Insurgent. It really helped me understand how bad Parson's children betrayed him. I couldn't imagine ever betraying my parents.
ReplyDeleteI'm in the same position as Lesly. It also helped me to understand the betrayal in the Parsons family. I was very confused at first but through this blog I managed to form a better synthesis about the betrayal.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is scary to think about children betraying their parents. In this case Parsons daughter went on to tell the Party what she heard. The Party always finds a way to make sure that people follow their rules and now even children keep a close eye on their parents.
ReplyDelete